Meet the Team
Pete MacFadyen - Founder & Executive Director
- Studies: Masters of Mental Health Counseling, Montana State University (LCPC); Human Development & Psychology, Boston College
- Previously: Dishwasher, White Water Raft Guide, Wilderness School Instructor, Group Home Manager, School Counselor, Private Mental Health Counselor
- Hobbies: Spending time with wife and daughter, snowboard/ski, mountain bike, golf, fish, surf, and skate, dabbling in graphic design
- Why BYEP?: "Adolescence is a really cool time period in a person's life. I'm interested in helping teenagers who want to examine who they are, why they are here, and where they want to go."
- Contact Pete - email@example.com or 406-539-0399
Katie DiBerardinis - Program Director
- Studies: B.S. in Health and Human Development; M.Ed. in School Counseling - Montana State University. National Certified School Counselor.
- Previously: Middle School Counselor, Volleyball Coach, Bridger Bowl Snowsports School Customer Service Specialist (a.k.a office ninja), BYEP Mentor
- Hobbies: Fly fishing, skiing, snowboarding, hiking, listening to music way too loud, traveling, playing volleyball, reading, hanging with my husband and furry children, and being outside as much as possible
- Why BYEP?: "Being an adolescent is HARD. BYEP acknowledges and normalizes that yes, life is hard but you're not alone. BYEP provides a genuine support for kids and another person standing behind them saying, "Yep, you've got this!" BYEP has not only discovered the magic to transform kids, but also the volunteers & staff working with them. I love being part of something that has such a wonderful ripple effect in our crazy little world."
- Contact Katie - firstname.lastname@example.org or (406) 270-4375
erin mccleary - Crux PROGRAM Manager
- Studies: Marketing & Communications, University of Denver; German, Philosophy, & International Business, Universitat Salzburg, Austria; Graduating with Honors
- Previously: Voyageur Outward Bound School - Boundary Waters, Ely, Minnesota and Pisgah National Forest, North Carolina. Cyclist for Sustainable Ely - pedaled 950 miles towing a canoe by bike across Minnesota. Arctic aviation logistics, ski and snowboard Instructor, BYEP Crux mentor
- Hobbies: Family, exploring, skiing, biking, fly fishing, backpacking, reading, baking, knitting. In that order. The outdoors is therapeutic so I am outside as much as possible.
- Why BYEP?: BYEP helps to create positive & supportive family systems. BYEP focuses on expanding oneself & allowing for positive risk-taking. My father once told me, "Live life 60% in your comfort zone, 30% on the edge of the envelope, and 10% YIKES!" There is truth in these words. The network of people that dedicate time, energy, heart and soul to forming these experiences reaffirm the youth that they are valuable and important and integral to our community. BYEP was my first connection to Bozeman and now has become a strong link between outsider and community. The kids are incredible and inspiring. I learn from them just as much as I hope they learn from me."
Brianna Moore - Crux Program Manager
- Studies: Bachelor of Science in Family & Consumer Sciences; Teaching Option from Montana State University. Certified Wilderness Emergency Medical Technician - Stonehearth Open Learning Opportunities (SOLO) in New Hampshire
- Previously: Saute Cook, Hostess, Barista, Special Education Paraprofessional at Sacajawea Middle School, BYEP Mentor
- Hobbies: Singing & Songwriting, SKIING!, mountain biking, backpacking, yoga, and cooking. I also love knitting, making jewelry, & embroidering hats.
- Why BYEP?: "BYEP brings exceptional community members together to challenge & support one another. This program values the importance of connecting with nature, with each other, and with ourselves. I feel fortunate everyday to share in new experiences with these teens!"
Greg Smith - Approach Program Manager
- Studies: Liberal Studies, Montana State University. Before Greg transferred to MSU he studied at Minnesota State University - Moorhead and the University of North Dakota
- Previously: Founder of The Partnership for Student Cultural Engagement at UND, an organization focusing on service learning projects (mostly) on area Indian Reservations that worked primarily with at-risk youth. Extensive volunteering at treatment facilities in Minneapolis, Fargo, and Bismarck. Passionate humane society volunteer, and BYEP mentor
- Hobbies: Outdoor adventurer (snowboarding, climbing, fishing, biking), drawing, reading, is an avid golfer, and enjoys spending time with dog, Milo
- Why BYEP?: "Though everyone is this program is so unique, I feel like I've had a lot of similar experiences as some of the participants in BYEP. For me, one of the most important things I can relate to the world is owning my story and finding power in all of my experiences. There are so many incredible participants in BYEP that truly inspire me everyday. Being able to be part of an organization that creates a space for these kids to began to realize their potential by challeging themselves and supporting each other is truly a dream job for me."
Kayla Bradley - Approach Program Manager
- Studies: Psychology, University of Montana
- Previously: Intern at Sovann Komar Childrens Village in Phnom Penh Cambodia, Program Guide at Pacific Quest Sustainable Growth - a horticultural therapy program for at-risk teens in Big Island, HI
- Hobbies: making homemade cards, running, yoga, cooking, spending time with friends and family, hiking, playing in the river, anything outside!
- Why BYEP?: "I work at BYEP because I am confident that the space we provide here changes the lives of teens. Often times life can be incredibly chaotic, and at BYEP we offer support, create a non judgmental space, find ourselves, build confidence, and learn how to be in a community. BYEP cultivates all the things I believe in: change, growth, and love."
WHITNEY CALDWELL - COMMUNICATIONs Manager
- Studies: Marketing Management, University of St. Thomas including a semester studying in Sevilla, Spain, cultural immersion program at Veritas Universidad in San Jose, Costa Rica
- Previously: Optician, Server, BYEP Mentor
- Hobbies: Minnesota lakes, cooking, travel, hiking, skiing, adventures with my husband and dog Pfeffer.
- Why BYEP?: "Everyone deserves a chance at change & opportunity; especially the youth who are our future."
- Connect with Whitney - email@example.com or (406) 570-5881
Emma Burick - Development Manager
- Studies: Bachelor of Arts in Psychology, University of Portland
- Previously: Development Coordinator & Whitewater Kayaking Leader for LEAP Therapeutic Wilderness Program, Research Assistant, Hostess
- Road trips, trail running, yoga, all things rivers, and a long distance book club between friends in different area codes.
- Why BYEP?: "I believe in community and that every single person deserves a support system, especially young adults who are trying to figure it all out. What BYEP provides is a creative, powerful, and natural space for youth to thrive."
- Contact Emma - firstname.lastname@example.org or (406) 595-1759